A guide to cooker hoods with an external motor
What’s the difference between cooker hoods with a remote motor and an external fan?
And why would you choose one?
Below follow answers to the most frequently asked questions about cooker hoods with an external motor. But first, let’s explain the various terms.
The basics of external motors explained
Cooker hoods usually come with an internal fan or motor as standard. This motor is located in the main housing or chimney section of the cooker hood.
For some extractors you have the option to have your motor installed away from your cooker hood. If the motor is installed inside a house – for instance in the attic – then this motor is called a remote motor.
If the extractor is installed outside your house – e.g. on an outside wall or on the roof – then this is an external motor.
What are the benefits of having an external or remote motor?
Does the noise of your extractor disturb you when you’re in the kitchen? Having a cooker hood with an external or remote motor may be a solution, because the main source of the noise is moved to outside the kitchen.
Please note that extractors can be noisy for various reasons. Your extractor may not be installed properly. Check out how to reduce the noise of your cooker hood here.
If you’re having a downdraft cooker hood, then an additional benefit of an external or remote motor is that you have more space in your kitchen cabinet (where the motor would be placed if you opt for a standard motor).
Would you recommend an external or a remote motor?
In terms of performance there is no difference between external and remote motors. The best way to decide which is most suitable is by calculating the total ducting length and considering the number of bends required for either option.
For the option with the external motor you’ll have one ducting run: from the cooker hood to the motor – no matter whether it’s located on top of your roof or on an exterior wall.
For the option with the remote motor you’ll need to consider two ducting runs: one from the cooker hood to the motor; and one ducting run from the motor to the external wall vent. You need to add up the length of both and consider the number of bends in both ducting runs.
Your cooker hood will perform best if you choose the solution with the fewest bends and the shortest ducting run. Speak to your installer or builder if you’re not sure; or call our Technical Team on 0871 871 8680.
How far from the kitchen can the motor be fitted?
To maximise the performance of your extractor you need to minimise the number of bends and the ducting run length (see also above). There’s no recommended minimum or maximum distance.
Can you have two motors fitted?
Having a remote and an external motor, or combining an internal motor with an external / remote motor will not improve the performance of your BEST cooker hood. One of the two motors would be redundant because the hood electronics only work with one hood. You need to decide on your installation scenario before you order your extractor.
What do you need to order?
Once you’ve decided whether you need an external or remote motor, this is what you require:
1. Choose the cooker hood product code for use with a remote or external motor. Your extractor will come without a motor.
2. Order the required motor. The BEST code for a remote motor is CE 850 Q; the code for an external motor is EMD 950.
3. If you’re installing an external motor on your roof you also require a roof adaptor (HOOD-BE-AC-RF). This is not required if you install your motor on an outside wall.
4. Order the length of pipe and bends as required for your ducting run. Remember that for a remote motor (inside your house) you need to consider the ducting from your hood to the motor and from the motor to the wall vent. BEST hoods require ducting with a diameter of 150mm. Don’t be tempted to fit reducers as the extraction performance of your cooker hood will decrease and the noise levels will increase.
5. If you’re installing a remote motor, you also require a wall vent.
Do you have any other questions about a remote or external motor for your BEST cooker hood? Please call our Technical Department on 0871 871 8680.